Thursday, February 10, 2011

Using the Board

Here is an excellent article by Hildy Gottlieb on relying on your board for fundraising.

I'm a little on the ropes about the message: your board doesn't want to fundraise - get over it. She outlines some of the challenges nicely, and gives an alternative - "friend-raising."

Ok. At the end I don't really buy the premise, because there really are ways to use your board for effective fundraising. Don't give them a job they hate. Instead, give them the "mission" that best suits them.

I look for one of the following three roles from a board member:



  1. Discover. Give me your rolodex. Who are your contacts? Who do you know? Where are you connected? The only thing I want is info. Don't make calls or introductions, let alone solicit. Just lead me to where the opportunities are...
  2. Design. I'll tell you everything I know about my existing and prospective donors, you tell me how to best cultivate and solicit them. I'll hit the pavement, you play home base. You are an active donor, no one knows better than you!
  3. Deliver. You're the alpha male. You write the letters, make the call, make the ask, or whatever you feel ready for. You got inspired enough to join the board of this crazy organization. Spread that inspiration with our donors and prospects. I've got your back!
Yes. Use your board to fundraise.

Just do it in a way that compliments their talents and disposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment